If you are looking for a family car but don’t have a fortune to spend in the market then here are a few tips to help you when selecting your perfect family car.
- Reliability should be paramount for someone looking to buy a family car and spend under $3k (£2k). If you are looking for a family car you don’t want to be let down at the most inconvenient of moments. You need a car that will get you there without any breakdowns. Japanese manufacturers tend to produce reliable family cars and while they may not be the very best when it comes to style and grace they are cars you can trust with your family errands and outings.
- Try to find a car with a reasonable sized boot. As a family car it’s going to need a lot of spare room for toys, shopping bags and more as well as be big enough to fit in everyone’s bags when you go on holiday. The Nissan Primera is a good example of a reasonable medium sized family car with a great boot space.
- Popular family cars include Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Vectra and Peugeot 406 cars which are all great medium family sized cars that are readily available. You won’t have difficulty finding one of these cars to buy at a reasonable price.
- Avoid cars like large saloons. These types of cars may be dirt cheap to buy but they come with terrible tacky interiors, ugly exteriors and to top it off they are horrible to drive too.
- Check for rust around the rear arches if you are selecting a family car that is second hand. Rust in this area can cause a car to fail its MOT.
- Try to get a car that is reasonably efficient at burning gas. As a family car you will need it almost all the time for commuting, taking kids to school, running errands and holiday trips. Get the most out of your gas by buying an efficient vehicle, even if it costs a little extra now it will save you hundreds in the long run.
- When selecting a good family car you need to remember what types of things you will be suing the car for. Work out what you need the car for and buy accordingly. For example, if you need to take dogs with you when going out shopping you need a car that fits the dogs and the shopping in the back.